Here are some quality reflections on the ten deadly sins of a preacher posted by Skye Jethani (HT: Baby Priest). This list is from John Ortberg’s talk at the National Pastor’s Convention. To me, it is always reassuring when I hear other preachers wrestling with some of the same temptations that I do. Here’s the basic list if you are too tired to click the link. 😉
- The temptation to be inauthentic
- The temptation to live for recognition
- The temptation to live in fear
- The temptation to compare
- The temptation to exaggerate
- The temptation to feel chronically inadequate
- The temptation of pride
- The temptation to manipulate
- The temptation of envy
- The temptation of anger
Anyone out there struggle with one or two (or ten) of these?
2 thoughts on “John Ortberg on the Ten Deadly Sins of Preaching”
Much like the original seven deadly sins, I think I’ve been guilty of all of them sometime in the last 24 hours.
Preaching can sometimes be cruel like that. 😉