Since I’ll soon be beginning an appointment at a much larger congregation, I have found myself reading more about the unique opportunities and challenges within megachurches. Scott Thumma & Warren Bird have released a new study which you can find here (h/t Todd Rhodes @ MondayMorningInsight).
Todd summarizes several changes that have taken place over the last three years including:
- Growth without adding seats
- More satellite campuses and off-site worship
- More intentional training for ministers and ministerial candidates
- Growing emphasis on small groups
- More interest in social justice and outreach
He also shares a few things that have remained roughly the same:
- Contemporary worship styles
- Strong outreach and programming
- Continued growth
- Continued strong finances
I’m curious what will change in the next three years in these influential congregations. Primarily, I can foresee the current financial situation in our country may start to have an impact on these congregations.